25 September 2009

Year 2

ASUP Spring Elections - February 2009

It is my second year as the Campus Program Board (CPB) Director at the University of Portland. This year brings on new challenges as I plan to create new events in addition to our series of traditional events, including dances, coffeehouses, and movies. I’m also going through the emotional roller coaster ride of senior year, which is adding a new element to my life on the Bluff.

I’ve been involved in CPB since my freshman year, where I started out as a board member. I was a member of several committees but only worked with the Publicity Committee. I really enjoyed being part of CPB but was not involved as others. However, by the end of my freshman year, I was determined to get more involved and applied to be the Publicity Chair and Films Co-Event Coordinator.

During sophomore year, I implemented new ideas and traditions as the Publicity Chair and Films Co-Event Coordinator. For Publicity, I made intricate posters to publicize CPB events, notably the Homecoming dance, Dance of the Decades and certain movies. Sometimes I had to complete these projects single-handedly. I also started using Facebook as a means of advertising events. For Films, I established the CPB Film Committee on Facebook, which opened up the voting process for movies to the student body.

CPB became an important priority in my life. I went to the NACA West Regional Conference in Spokane, Wash., which truly inspired me to run for CPB Director. I knew from that moment on that I wanted to stay involved in CPB and help with its development.

As a candidate for CPB Director, I had the opportunity to go to the NACA National Convention in St. Louis, Mo. It was an amazing experience and definitely 100 times grander than Regionals! This experience basically secured my assurance of being in future involvement in CPB.

I won the election and was awarded CPB Member of the Year. Looking forward to a new year, I was excited about my new position.

During my first year as CPB director, I revitalized the whole organization. I restructured meeting agendas to engage student involvement and participation while informing the board members about past and upcoming events and other CPB related issues. I recruited and retained twice as many board members as the previous year. It was a successful year with an increase in attendance at several events, including attracting nearly 1000 students each to Homecoming and Dance of the Decades.

With all the successes from my first year, I was not able to leave the organization in the hands of someone else while still attending UP, so I ran again and was re-elected.

This year, I’m hoping to make a deeper impact on CPB by establishing more events and traditions that will hopefully continue after my final term. I’m preparing to leave CPB with detailed continuity documents from the past two years.

For this second year, I’m going to use this blog to document my term in hopes that it’ll be a helpful reference for the future CPB director.

Check out the CPB website to find out information for this year's events.

3 comments:

  1. Oh...that's from NACA Nationals. The photo has Katherine Miller, Katie Greisen, and me with the acoustic duo Ryanhood, Ryan Green and Cameron Hood. They'll be coming to UP on Friday, October 9. I'm so excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're doing a great job with your second year!
    I can't see anyone replacing you...

    ReplyDelete