I was super tired after Friday's festivities and was still working, getting things ready for tonight's dance. I feel good about yesterday's events though. They went better than I first expected.PRE-GAME FESTIVITIES: It started at 5 p.m. but definitely had a slow start. No one was there at 5 p.m., and I was getting super worried that no one would eat all the food we purchased or participate in any of the activities that we had put together. However, there was a group of students standing close to the tents, and I asked them, "What's up?" They said they were apprehensive about doing anything because no one else was doing it. I had a box of face paints, which drew them in. I went around to other groups hanging around the perimeter and got them to start eating some chili or doing face paints. It started to finally look like a happening event!
The Pride Slide wasn't as long as it usually is, but whatever. Students stripped down to get purple! It was pretty exciting to see them do it too! I feel like they may have turned more purple than usual. Did we put too much paint into the paint/water mixture?! Oh well. They all looked awesome after sliding!
Aaron and the CPB Sound Crew were laying down some beats. I'm not sure if they actually used the playlist that I requested, but okay - at least we had some music playing. It really enhanced the atmosphere! When the music was off, I felt like the event was dead. Oh the power of music! :)
Around 200 students came in and out of the event, which is awesome!
SHOPPING CART PARADE: To my surprise most of the residence halls actually participated! It was awesome! There were some great creations too. Way to go everyone! :) When we were prepping for the parade to start, I had to make some announcements, like the rules of the parade, over the sound system. Some people booed at the rules, only because the first rule says people can't ride in the carts, and Villa and Kenna definitely designed their carts to do so. As I was making those announcements, I wasn't sure how to hold the microphone, and I was really afraid of having it give audio feedback. Luckily, that didn't happen. The parade on its way, but I didn't get to see it go around because I stayed on the East Side Quad, doing clean up.
CLEAN-UP: As we were cleaning up camp, this group of students came over and swarmed the face painting supplies. It was interesting because Jillian and I were standing there, watching them, questioning why they didn't come earlier when everyone else was there. But whatever, at least they got to get their game face on! We were just about done getting everything together and taking it back to St. Mary's when I did an impromptu interview for The Log. Definitely wasn't ready for that one (yikes!). Jennifer from Athletics also came by around the same time for some information needed for the game. Everyone needed something from me, but I didn't let it stress me because I knew it could get done.
PILOTS vs. MONTANA: "Thanks for practice!" Seriously though, the score was 7-0 Pilots. Andrew even noted that he wasn't used to singing the score that high. I mean, seven is a high score for a soccer game. Great job ladies! :)
HALFTIME: During halftime, CPB gave away a limo ride to Oliver Swenson. Problem was that he is a commuter student and wasn't present at the game. Lucky for him, we found Jeff who had his number and told him to get to Merlo Field. I gave Oliver the run down and all the information he needed for his limo ride. Sweet deal! :)
CPB also awarded Villa $200 for winning the shopping cart parade contest! The ASUP Exec Board felt that their cart had a creative spin on it by encasing the entire cart in cardboard, making it look like a tank, as well as incorporating school colors, which relate to the theme - "Pump UP the Purple!"
POST-GAME SHOPPING CART FUN: While exiting the game, the shopping carts were lined up in a row, and there was no way I was going to take all of those back to St. Mary's by myself. Luckily, I found some CPB members and their friends to help out. We broke all the rules that I announced at the beginning of the shopping cart parade - one girl rode in a cart, the carts collided into each other, and they ran across the parking lot. Disqualification! haha But I'm thankful they were there to help me take the carts back and restore them to their original condition. Thanks!! :)
NIGHT NINJA TIME: Last year, Ben and I nicknamed ourselves the night ninjas because we would stay in the office during the night shift. This was like any other night except I was alone, so I cranked up the music and cleaned the office (well, kind of). I mostly rearranged things so that they would be ready to pick up for the dance the next day and then finally left before midnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment